Saturday, February 2, 2008

Cooler in Arabic?


I had said that “it looked cooler in Arabic” but that’s just because I don’t always think before I speak. If I had known that it would have come to this, then I might have tried to think of something more significant to say. What I should have said… or rather, what I may have been thinking about when I said that, was how I enjoy the way in which the words mean absolutely nothing to me. They are so much less intrusive this way; they are so much less confrontational. They completely lack significance and impose nothing upon me. They just leave me alone.

This is the thing that I like most about going somewhere where I don’t speak the language. It is the politeness of words that say on the page and do not jump out at me, the privilege of not having to understand everything I overhear and the serenity of not having to hear, understand or entertain anyone else’s ideas but my own.

No comments: